Friday, August 31, 2012

Clear Skies

The past couple of days have been some of the strangest since we've moved here. My hometown of New Orleans has been enduring the wrath of Hurricane Issac, and I've been sitting here in Chicago, unable to help in any way. I've never been away from my family during a hurricane, and it's been so strange to be detached from my city while all of this is going on. Most of my friends on Facebook are from New Orleans, so I've been watching dozens of storm-related updates scroll by, and it's so surreal. Thankfully, my family made it through the storm safely and with only minor damage to their homes. South of us, things were much worse, and my heart is breaking for them.

Oddly, through this I've discovered how much I turn to baking in times of stress, because I baked not once, but twice yesterday:

Basic Peanut Butter cookies--except I add a dash of cinnamon and a little extra sugar.

Pizza Puffs--the recipe can be found at One Ordinary Day.

I also got two new Pyrex baking pans today--a loaf pan and a pie pan, so now I can start exploring recipes for those things! Despite the stress of the storm at home, I've been feeling great lately and getting a lot of work done musically. I got so much work done today that I have no problem with taking the day off tomorrow. I got five glorious rows of Esperanza done today, and that was just what I squeezed in while taking a break. I have big plans for tomorrow.


I'm about 2/3 through chart 2, and I can't wait to sit down for some serious knitting time tomorrow.

Edited, because the Blogger app refuses to create coherent blog posts when pictures are involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love finding comments, so please drop me a line!